Friday, September 26, 2008

Project Comparison (or lack thereof..)

This week I've been thinking more about the logistics of putting the flood stories into ContentDM (metadata, format of audio, etc.)

It seems like a project comparison would be a good place to start! I found that Library of Congress is partnering to archive StoryCorps audio. Here is the FAQ for this partnership. What luck! I thought...

It looks like even though this partnership began in 2003, Library of Congress only has a searchable database at their Folklife Reading Room. The collection is housed on a local area network...so I would have to travel there to see how the metadata is formed.

Additionally, the StoryCorps website (with audio clips) does not expose its metadata schema. And, from the looks of it, their schema is not complete enough for our needs.

We may need to contact some organizations if we would like to get knowledge sharing happening.