This update comes to you after Thanksgiving break. As such, I will not have a whole ton of new information.
Things in the works:
- talking with Dee Morris (Faculty, English, U of I) to find a graduate student interested in reading within Second Life during the second week of December.
- talking with Les Finken (U of I Academic Technologies, Staff) to set up streaming audio capabilities. This needs to be a .pls type stream in order to work within Second Life. Streaming audio within SL is actually not too difficult. It requires pointing my parcel of land to a streaming audio file located somewhere other than SL. Then, the attendees of a reading just need to click on the 'play media' tab that pops up. This way people at readings will not have to worry where they are on my land. They will hear the reading regardless. Also, streaming audio somewhere other than SL is more reliable than the in-game audio technology.
- talking with the Maia Quartet to set up a concert in SL early next semester.
- talking with Julie Englander to collaborate and have some authors reading on the Live From Prairie Lights radio program simulcast within Second Life. This is a great idea because it takes the pressure of myself to provide authors for readings. Starting from scratch, I think that this task would have taken greater time and work than I have at my disposal for the fellowship.
I am now off to create a logo design for use in Second Life that highlights both University of Iowa SLIS and the VWU Experimental Wing departments' involvement in our readings.