Monday, April 21, 2008

Schema-ing

The head of Widernet, Cliff Missen, is off to Ethiopia. In his absence I've been doing a lot of thinking about database design with my other Widernet project mentor - Brent Palmer. We have devised a new schema that enables reorganization of the eGranary portal website's "categories" and "subcategories". This is important because reorganizing the eGranary portal website's content is something that has been talked about.

I have been devising MySQL queries based on the new schema. So, I have been trying to get MSSQL statements converted to MySQL - and then trying to modify these statements to work with the new test schema we are using. Once I get all these queries running, we will do a stress test on a slower computer to see how many simultaneous webpage queries an older system can handle.

In other news, we will be doing our test run for the Hannah Holman Second Life performance this Wednesday. We will be testing the streaming audio capabilities, as well as audio quality for mic-ing a live performance. I need to get all the public information materials ready by Wednesday to hand off to my project mentor, Jon Winet.