It's been a busy month. Accomplishments:
1) Successfully installed the Scielo test site onto The Widernet Project's 'chennai' webserver. This server allows persons to see the capabilites of an eGranary over the Internet. This achievement involved some more manipulations with php to get around proxy settings. This fix was required because the 'chennai' webserver does not work exactly like the eGranary portals that are sent out into the field.
2) I created a website presentation documenting the work involved when implementing the Scielo site into the eGranary. The thought behind doing this: I'll really have to understand this stuff if I want to be able to explain it to others. I hope to give this presentation in our IMLS seminar the week after spring break.
3) Started planning out my next steps at Widernet. I will be switching over the eGranary database from MSSQL to MySQL. I will be doing this in order to start an implementation of a dynamic eGranary catalog. Basically, we are in the process of switching the eGranary static html website design into a dynamically generated, relational database backend web service. Why? This method will greatly reduce the bandwidth requirements for updates to the eGranary in the field. For instance, only one space in a table may need changed, deleted, or added rather than the current need to replace entire html webpages for any change in a site. The cost: at a place where many users are accessing the eGranary at once, dynamically generated webpages put a lot of stress on a webserver. We will be performing stress tests to see how much simultaneous searching an eGranary can reasonably support.
4) Began work on a Second Life manual for Jon Winet.
5) I've received a scholarship to attend the Digital Humanities Summer Institute in Victoria, British Columbia. It is a week long seminar. I will be attending the Issues in Large Project Planning and Management class.
6) somewhere in here I've gotten some school work done.