Monday, February 11, 2008

Server Configuration

Since my last post I've been learning quite a bit about how database-driven, dynamic websites are configured. Mostly, I've learned about server support. Specifically, I've been learning:

1) how a search on a webpage passes from a php webpage
2) to a server module or CGI application
3) the server then grabs an xml file with the search results, and
4) uses and xsl file to translate the xml file into and html page

This is, of course, specific to the configurations I am working on at Widernet. We are working with an Apache server, php webpages, and xml and xsl files. So far we've almost completely configured the SciELO test webspace to work within the existing eGranary structure (this link looks just like the test webpage we are working with). Once all the kinks have been worked out, we will write up the steps we have for manually configuring the SciELO webpage into the eGranary. Theoretically, these steps will enable us to integrate the entire SciELO webpage into the eGranary (not just the test-run webpage).

My other appointment this semester has consisted of event planning for the upcoming Maia Quartet concert in Second Life. Most likely we will just have one of the members performing a piece or two. Additionally, I've researched methods for implementing a dynamically updating billboard that contains readings on the University of Iowa Virtual Writing University. This will provide our building with a lot of content for people in Second Life (this is a large problem with the Second Life, it has all this 3-D stuff...but not much actual content beyond the game's bells and whistles).

I have also edited together a video of Kate Thorpe's reading: